I never, EVER would have thought to make hummus with beets, but, after a little research and three taste testers (thank you Fuzz, Alycia and EB/Mike), I will make this again and again.
The original recipe came from here: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/beet_hummus/
Below is the recipe and my modifications.
I plan on making this and including it with my collard green wraps when I make them next. I feel this would be great with my tuna salad/sprout mix I put together …great topper.
▪ 1/2 pound beets (about 4 medium sized beets), scrubbed clean, cooked, peeled, and cubed*
▪ 2 Tbsp tahini sesame seed paste
▪ 5 Tbsp lemon juice [I used the juice of two lemons]
▪ 1 small clove garlic, chopped [used 4 cloves…so good]
▪ 1 Tbsp ground cumin [used LOTS – might have used too much, but it was still very good]
▪ 1 Tbsp lemon zest (zest from approx. 2 lemons) [skipped this as it’s extra work I did not have time for]
▪ Generous pinch of sea salt or Kosher salt [yep]
▪ Fresh ground pepper to taste [yep]
*To cook the beets, cut off any tops, scrub the roots clean, put them in a covered dish with about 1/4-inch of water in a 375°F oven, and cook until easily penetrated with a knife or fork. Alternatively, cover with water in a saucepan and simmer until tender, about 1/2 hour. Peel once they have cooled. [This is a fine way to do it. What I did was steam them – washed, cut off ends, put in a steamer basket and let them go for about 30 minutes. Easy peasy too.]
Place all ingredients in a food processor (or blender) and pulse until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings and ingredients as desired.
Chill and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for longer storage.
Eat with pita chips, or with sliced cucumber or celery, or on a crostini with goat cheese and shaved mint. [this is great with veggies, and GORGEOUS! Check out the pics (the yellow dish does not do it justice – will know for pictures next time)…my personal fave is with celery. So visually appealing…]
Makes 2 cups.