Ahhhh….chili. Probably one of the most popular comfort foods – especially with our PNW weather. I’m a chili fan and I used to use three different kinds of beans…I used to love beans but have cut them down, almost out of my diet completely. It’s not supported for paleo…but this is a chili recipe, and for me, I like beans to go with my chili. This recipe will still be good without the beans – but treat yourself if your digestive system can handle it.
Honestly, this is some of the best chili I’ve made – ever. The spice mix was perfect…
Yet another one from Paleo Comfort Foods, I’m only including my version of this because I made it much easier and it was damn good. 🙂
- Olive oil
- 1.5-2lbs lb ground meat of choice – I was LUCKY enough to use elk. Our friend Nate visited and left some with us – amazing.
- 1 tblsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce, i used sauce because it’s what i had – you’ll see the pics
- 28 oz of canned diced tomatoes
- 3-4 tbsp of tomato paste
- 2 cups red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can rinsed black beans (optional)
This was a one pot meal for us, so I used a cast iron dutch oven.
- Cook ground meat, use a slotted spatula to take out meat & set aside when done.
- Use same pan to cook your onions until translucent, add your spices and beef stock.
- Let the stock reduce a bit, then add crushed and diced tomatoes, peppers, beans
- Let simmer for about 45 minutes. FABULOUS.