Why, oh WHY am I still making soup? Well, on a day like today, I just feel like soup. Plus, I can toss in a bunch of stuff that I need to use up. Satisfying, healthy and incredibly warming on this icky day.
Fuzz and I just had some and it was PERFECT for today. Play with the veggies – this is just what I had on hand. I had originally wanted to make a sausage/chard/white bean soup…but had none of it like I thought I had!
- One Onion, chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped (used my mini food processor)
- 4-6 chopped carrots
- 4-6 chopped celery stalks
- 1 yam, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 portabella mushroom, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1-2 cups cooked, chopped bacon – optional. Made bacon for breakfast and had some left over. Thought to add it!
- 1.5 cartons of chicken broth
- Salt, pepper, oregano, cayenne pepper
- I started out by cooking the meat in my favorite green pot, once that was 3/4 of the way done, added onions, garlic, some salt and pepper, cook meat until it’s done.
- Added broth, tossed in carrots and celery. Let cook on medium to high until a boil, turned down to medium, cooked for 5 minutes.
- Add yam, cook for 5.
- Added shroom and zucchini, bacon, more pepper, oregano, let cook until zucchini was good. Add cayenne to taste…I added about 1 tsp – 2 tsp. Fuzz is not a ‘hot’ kind of guy. This amount is PERFECT. Let low-simmer for at least 15 minutes so that cayenne has some time to meld into everything.
- I stir regularly through the cooking process, especially after I add the yam. I do this so the yam breaks down a bit and makes the broth a bit thicker. It’s very yummy.