Wow, these were a great appie, especially on a nice night like we had on Saturday! This was a new one for me to try and thank you to Dale, Trav and Alycia for being my guinea pigs!
Here’s the original recipe. My mods below. SO GOOD, I urge you to try it!
See the picture here – yes, looks just like it when you make it. 🙂 ENJOY!
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil [used at least 5-6 because the prosciutto didn’t give off as much grease so needed a bit extra to balance the balsamic]
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion [I used my mini food processor and minced it]
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped [I used prosciutto, it’s what I had thawed]
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 heads romaine lettuce, cut in 1/2 lengthwise
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese [oh yes, do NOT skip this]
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the grill to high heat.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a saute pan over high heat. Add the onions and bacon and cook until the bacon is crispy. To the same pan add the balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and stir to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.
Brush the romaine lettuce with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, place on the grill cut side down, and quickly sear.
Serve the lettuce, cut side up, and drizzle the balsamic dressing over the lettuce. Sprinkle with blue cheese and garnish with cracked black pepper.