Once again, I forgot to take a picture so am borrowing one from PaleOMG and giving her FULL 110% credit. Here’s the deal – when we were eating them last night, looked just like the pic here. So darn good, can’t get over it.
Original recipe here, my mods below [xxx]. SO GOOD. Enjoy!!! This will be a summertime regular in my house. I’m going to try ground turkey next…
Prep time: 20 mins/Cook time: 15 mins/Total time: 35 mins
◦ 1lb Grass Fed Ground Beef
◦ 1 pineapple, cored and sliced
◦ 1 yellow onion, sliced thin [used white onions, it’s what I had]
◦ 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder [used canned chipotle in adobo sauce canned things. I used several tblsp of the ‘juice’ that’s in there. NOTE on this stuff – it has wheat in it. That blows. Just take note].
◦ 2 garlic cloves, minced [In my latest ACME Food & Kitchen box, I received garlic scapes. Check it – amazing. And that’s what I used here, probably a full tablespoon after I minced in my food processor]
◦ 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
◦ [I also used 2 tsp of garlic salt and skipped the salt below. Take note – I doubled the recipe so that’s why I used two tsp]
◦ 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt [did not use]
◦ 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the cream
◦ 2 avocados
◦ juice of 1 lime
◦ juice of 1/2 lemon
◦ 1 tablespoon hot sauce (your favorite will do) [used tobasco]
◦ 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder [used adobo powder, didn’t have chipotle, used a lot because I LOVE the flavor]
◦ 1 teaspoon olive oil
◦ pinch of salt
- Light your grill! I love grilling season.
- Now you should first slice your pineapple. I have no idea how to cut a pineapple very well but I try, so you can look at my pictures if that actually helps.
- Use a big knife to cut off both ends of the pineapple, then stand the pineapple up and slice the sides off. Then cut the pineapple in hamburger slices (remember hamburger vs hotdog in elementary school? good). And finish the pineapple slices off by using a smaller knife to cut out the middle and press it out. Like a donut hole. Cute.
- Then slice your onions.
- Place meat in a bowl, add seasonings and mix thoroughly. Like hard core. Get in there. [Since I ripped my hands up during the awesome partner WOD (Angie) on Friday, I used rubber gloves. This was awesome – seriously. Will do this all the time.]
- Make 4 burger patties and flatten them out a bit. [I doubled the recipe, just FYI]
- Place onions, burgers, and pineapple on the grill at the same time. Try not to place pineapple over direct flame because it can burn pretty easily, being sugar and all. [I did not grill the onions, only the pineapple…I apparently forgot]
- Flip when grill marks become present, after about 5 minutes and cook about the same amount of time on the other side of until burgers are cooked to preference and pineapple is a bit charred and soft.
While the ingredients are on the grill, make your avocado cream!
- Cut avocados in half, remove the seed, then scoop out the insides and place in your food processor.
- Turn food processor on and let the avocado begin to break down. After about a minute, while your food processor is still running, add the rest of the ingredients for the avocado cream and keep pureeing until smooth: about 1-2 minutes.
Place a burger down, top it with pineapple, then a grilled onion, and then a dollop of avocado cream on top! [note – I used two Romaine leaves as my bun, or you don’t need anything at all. So GOOD.]