Yeah, you read it right – made my first meatza this weekend! This was so good! My son in law, Shane, did most of the work on this one, so huge shout out to him.
We ate this hot, right out of the oven, but honestly, the next day when we ate it as a snack, cold – it was better. It was so good. When it’s cold, you can actually pick it up like a slice of pizza…which my grandson did and went to town. That kid ate a lot this weekend. 🙂
I got this recipe from PaleOMG (thank you Juli!!) and it was amazing. Didn’t change a thing. If you have everything on hand, it doesn’t take very long to put together. Next time, I will add olives, artichokes, and red onion. NOM NOM NOM.
Find the recipe here and below.
- 1lb ground beef–I used Grass Fed Beef
- 1lb ground pork
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 cups marinara-no sugar added**
- 1 container mushrooms
- 1 zucchini
- ½ onion, roughly sliced
- 5-6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder [used all dried from here down]
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- basil, to garnish [didn’t have fresh basil, used in meat ‘crust’]
- [parm cheese, optional]
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Pull out a large mixing bowl and add your beef, pork and eggs and mix well to combine.
- Now add in all your spices to your meat mixture: garlic and onion powder, oregano, parsley, and thyme and thoroughly mix the spices in with the meat.
- Now grab a 9 x 11 baking dish and throw your ball of meat into the dish and press down until meat is the same thickness throughout.
- Bake for 15 minutes. [NOTE – shrinkage! This will shrink which is fine. We ended up dumping off some of the juice that came off during this time. Be careful while you are doing it. It takes two – one to hold the crust, the other to do the dumping.]
- While the meat is baking, chop your veggies to get them all ready to plop on top of your meatza.
- Once the meat is done cooking, pull it out of the oven, top with the rest of the ingredients: marinara, veggies, and garlic.
- Put back in the oven for 10 minutes.
- [at this point I added the shredded parm cheese. Just a bit! It was a great addition.]
- Once the the veggies are cooked a bit, turn on your broiler and cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Now eat! Careful, it’s hot hot!! Great for leftovers!