We ate some amazing food this weekend – it was awesome. Shane picked the rub for the amazing pork butt roast we had on Saturday (with the warm quinoa salad as a side).
We used a rub from the Patio Daddy-O At the Grill book. This book has some great rubs – get crazy. I think I’m going to use this on chicken next time. Recipe below, my mods in [xxx].
This rub will last up to six days, but it’s best when used immediately.
Roasted Garlic Rub [makes about one cup]
- 8 medium cloves garlic, peeled [we used six large]
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped hot chili (jalapeno, Serrano, or arbol) [we skipped this. Fuzz doesn’t do hot-spicy very well, so left it out]
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro [we used 3/4 of a cup. :)]
- 1/3 cup orange or grapefruit juice [we used grapefruit juice. Next time I’ll use actual squeezed fresh grapefruit juice. This was good, but I would feel better personally doing it fresher]
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Roast the garlic cloves in a dry skillet over low heat until browned. About 7 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine the spices and roasted garlic. Add the citrus juices and olive oil and process until it’s a paste. Coat the food to be grilled and marinate, refrigerated, until ready to grill [we did this in a zip lock, and turned a couple of times during the three hour marinade time]
We had a 4-5 lb pork roast we used this with. FABULOUS.