Good morning y’all! That’s a little bit o’ Missouri coming out in me today. Anyhoo, I am enjoying the fireplace going, a beautiful view of Baker socked in by clouds (a bit is peaking out) and a hot cup of coffee. The coffee is the best part, as I’m sure we ALL can agree.
It’s quiet in the house today (Fuzz is still sleeping) and I’m gearing up for my food shopping/cooking day. I’ve got two whole chickens almost thawed, so am making some nummy with that. May stuff one…anyhoo, too many choices, need to narrow it down! I’ve got a bat-sh*t-crazy week coming up so need to get food stuff done today so I can grab and go. And so that Fuzz will eat more than an Erin Baker Breakfast Cookie and take out Thai this week. That’s for another post.
Ok, let me say again that I love PaleOMG. She’s funny, real and a great cook. I cannot wait for her cookbook to come out. I just downloaded the app for PaleOMG – yes, she has an app that works perfect on my iPad. Go Juli. Onto FOOD.
This recipe was amazing and PERFECT for a cold day like today. Make double, freeze it.This is a perfect freezable recipe. I’m a huge proponent of making way more and then freezing it…ok, on to the food.
This was SUPER easy. And beyond flavor-ific. Original recipe here and below, my mods in [xxx]. ENJOY!
- 1.5lbs ground beef [one lb]
- .5lb ground pork [two lbs]
- 1 large butternut squash, cubed [want to make it easy? Go to Trader Joe’s and buy one package of their already cubed squash. Saves TIME]
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped [Yes x2]
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped [NO, I don’t do green peppers, gives me the burps]
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped [Yes x2]
- 1 yellow onion, diced [1.5 – my onions were large too]
- [1 small head of cauliflower, chopped]
- 6 garlic cloves, minced [a head, chopped – put the cloves in a mini food processor. EASY]
- 1 (14) oz can tomatoes, diced [x2 – no drain]
- 1 (14) oz can tomato sauce [x3]
- 1 cup chicken or beef stock [beef]
- ½ cup canned coconut milk [1 full]
- 3 tablespoon coconut butter or coconut concentrate [did not use]
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves [didn’t have]
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat up a large pot over medium-high heat with a tablespoon of some kind of fat. Add the beef and ground pork and let it brown. Cook for about 5-8 minutes. [I did not use any additional oil here, the pork and beef give off enough fat]
- While the meat is cooking, chop all your veggies and squash. I just cut my squash in random slices then chopped them. Easy peasy. [or use TJ’s]
- Once meat is cooked, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside in a bowl. [did this, dumped out most of grease from meat. left a bit in there to saute’ veggies]
- Add veggies to pot, Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Now add your chicken stock, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and coconut milk to the pot. Mix together. Cover and cook until butternut squash is tender.
- Add spices and beef/pork back to the pot. Stir to combine. Last, add
coconut butterand mix thoroughly.
- Decrease heat and let simmer to let all the flavors combine.
- Then consume. [so good, it is SO GOOD. Thinking about warming some up and cracking an egg over it for breakie…too much?]