Hey there! I’m gearing up for my 4oth Bday – yes, I am going to be 40. I think I needed to type that to have it settle in a bit more. One thing that is helping this sting of age is my birthday adventure to Hawaii. Yes, I’ll be spending a week in the sun in one of my favorite places in the world….sigh…my life does NOT suck.
Anyway, that’s a long way of saying I needed to clean out my fridge. I meal planned again this week – and it rocked once again. I actually bought a big too much food, not taking into account leftovers. Oops. My girlfriend at work will be the lucky recipient of broccoli, red peppers, basil, thyme, and zucchini. What was I thinking?
Back to the goods. On Saturday night Dale and I roasted a lamb…so good. We had roasted veggies as a side. You’ll see that a lot on my blog because they are easy and good. I flavor them up by using different oils to roast – grapeseed, walnut, olive, coconut, bacon fat…all are amazing, I LOVE coconut oil the best. Gives everything such a nummy flavor.
Anyway, had leftover lamb and decided to chop it up and use it in ‘pot pie’ type dish…it ended up more as a casserole, but whatever – bottom line, it’s good.
Basically – this is a great way to clean out your fridge – you can eat the meal immediately, or freeze it like I plan to so I can have a meal when we get back home (and therefore NOT freak out about having no dinner planned/made). Enjoy!
- Chopped onion
- Chopped broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms (or use a veggie mix of your choice)
- 3-4 cups of chicken broth
- Xanthan gum or any thickener you like to use
- Chopped fresh herbs – thyme, basil and Italian parsley
- Chopped meat of choice, I had lamb that was stuffed w/garlic
- 1 Chopped cooked rice/quinoa mix (optional, had it so used it)
- 1/2 tbsp pepper
- bit of salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- Started out with a bit of left over lamb juice – tossed that in a deep skillet, heated it up.
- Tossed in chopped onion, let that cook a bit.
- Tossed in broccoli and zucchini, let that cook a bit.
- Tossed in shrooms and added chicken broth, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, turn to medium-low and let simmer a bit.
- Toss in your thickener, let that settle.
- Once all is heated through, add herbs, cooked meat and optional rice/quinoa mix. Mix together well.
- Heat that through, eat immediately, or, put in oven safe dish and toss in a the freezer or eat later in the week.
- To reheat – preheat oven to 375, toss in the goods and wait till bubbly…so nummy.