This was a great recipe – colorful, flavorful and simple enough for a weeknight.
I received some pre-cut stew meat in my ACME bin which made this recipe even easier! If you don’t have that on hand, then I would just make sure you use a nice cut of meat and cut it small and thinner than a typical ‘stew’ meat (i.e. Costco).
- 1-2 tbsp cooking fat of choice, I used bacon fat
- 4 red bell peppers,washed, tops cut off, take out ribs and seeds
- 2 tbsp basil pesto – I buy mine from Costco, very good – Optional
- 1/2 cup minced onion, white or yellow
- 1/2 cup minced mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1lb-1.5lbs of good quality stew meat, sliced/cut in to small, bite size chunks
- 1-2 tbsp fresh ginger (I have ginger on hand all the time – it keeps well in the freezer. When you are ready to use, peel it with a carrot/tater peeler and microplane. AWESOME. I put 1-2 tbsp ginger here because some folks want a ‘hint’ of ginger, others want the ‘pow!’. I used 1.5 which was a happy medium. 🙂
- 1 cup of fresh basil
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos (or your choice of soy sauce alternative)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Take peppers and brush the insides with the basil pesto (again, optional). Place standing up in oven safe dish (I lined mine with foil, helped them stand up better and less mess later)
- Heat up fat of choice in a deep skillet (if you have one).
- Salt and pepper your meat.
- Toss in garlic and onion to hot saute fat, saute until fragrant.
- Add shrooms, cook for a couple of minutes, stirring often.
- Add ginger, stir for about 15 seconds
- Toss in meat – because your meat is cut small, you will ONLY want to saute this shortly – brown on all sides kind of thing. Mine took me about 1-2 minutes.
- Once meat is browned (SLIGHTLY – don’t over do as you will cook this in the oven!); take off heat and stir in basil & coconut aminos
- Take beef mix and place in each pepper.
- Cook at 375 until peppers “give” w/poke of a a fork (you want the peppers to have a bit of give, NOT be mushy. Makes the texture of the dish really good).
- I cooked mine for about 35 minutes…check at 25 and every five minutes thereafter. ENJOY!!