Well, I have posted the recipe before but I took another look at it because I’m on the Whole30 and would like an appropriate snack. I decided to follow the original recipe, minus any sugar (honey, vanilla), plus more spices, plus BACON. Yes, you read correctly. I added Hempler’s uncured bacon (no sugar)…and it is FABULOUS. 🙂 Add bacon to anything and it’s fab…
I made one batch with bacon, one without. Both are delicious w/o the sugar. There is enough sweetness from the carrots! It’s great. Enjoy!
The original recipe came from Paleo Comfort Foods by Julie and Charles Mayfield.
- 2.5 cups of almond flour (I bought the stuff Elana’s Pantry uses – it’s awesome!)
- 1 tblsp cinnamon
- 1 tblsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp baking soda
- .5 tsp salt
- 2 cups grated/shredded carrots [I food processed. much easier]
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled cored and grated [didn’t peel it, why? the skin adds nutrients and flavor. food processed this too]
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped bacon
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 large eggs
- .5 c grapeseed oil
- Preheat oven to 350, grease a standard sized muffin tin.
- Combine almond flour to salt in a bowl, mix well. Add carrot through raisins, mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix remaining ingredients, mix well.
- Pour wet over dry and mix. Batter will be very thick. [At this point, set the bowl aside and work on something else for at least 30 minutes…this step is imperative for moister muffins…yes, I just used the word “moist.”]
- Spoon into greased muffin tins, cook 40-50 minutes. Do a toothpick check at 40 minutes.
Cool down, take out of tin and eat!