I have this recipe in the oven right now and I AM EXCITED. The last couple of days have been odd – I’ve been craving something sweet. I’m not a ‘sweets’ type person. I don’t go for Reeses PNB Cups…although as I was putting Hudsie’s Easter Egg goodies together I ALMOST caved. I didn’t – but I sure thought about it. That actually would have been too sweet – way too sweet.
My type of sweetness level is a bit of coconut oil in half a date with an almond. That’s getting too sweet for me almost now that I’m on Day 22 of the Whole30. Anyhoo, I was looking for a recipe that incorporated more coconut and less almond…I’ve been OD’ing on the almond flour, etc., lately. I got this idea from Paleo Diet Lifestyle, a great resource.
I went ahead and put my own spin on it, wanting flax meal in there and more coconut flour. That’s just how I’m rolling lately. These have no sugar in them, I omitted the honey and vanilla. I think they’d be better with those items included, but for now, with only 8 days to go, I’m not giving in.
Not even to honey. Boo ya.
- 3 eggs;
- 1 cup canned coconut milk;
- 1/2 cup + a wee bit coconut oil;
- 1/3 cup almond flour;
- 4 tbsp flax meal;
- 4 tbsp coconut flour;
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut;
- 1/4 tsp sea salt;
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Using a stand or a hand mixer, combine the eggs, coconut milk, and coconut oil.
- Combine the almond flour, coconut flour and flax meal in a small bowl.
- Set your mixer to the lowest speed and slowly add the flour mix.
- Once mixed, add the shredded coconut.
- Continue mixing just until there is no clumping and the coconut mixture is consistent throughout.
- Pour the mixture into an 8×8 baking dish and cook for 30 minutes, or until golden around edges.
- Once through, remove from the oven and allow to completely cool. Cut into squares and keep them refrigerated until serving.