Made this for Easter dinner and it was nummy! I love pulled pork because its easy and good and you can make enough for 8 people with a crockpot. Love that.
I used a rub I whipped together for our chickens when we smoke them – turns out, it’s just as good on pulled pork.
Feeds at least 6-8 adults.
- Crock Pot
- 2 pkgs of pork tenderloin (you get the two packs from costco – this was the only pork I had in my fridge, so used it. This will work on your normal pulled pork cuts)
- 2 white onions, sliced thin
- 2 granny smith apples, sliced thin
- 2 cans of stewed tomatoes
- 1 can of tomato sauce (note, I think you’d be just fine using all stewed or all sauce – your call. I loved the consistency of this combo)
- 4-6 cloves garlic
RUB: On the rub, don’t be shy. Use it at least half of it, save whatever you don’t use in an air tight container.
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp allspice
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp ground red pepper
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- Take the rub and rub a dub dub on your pork. Don’t be shy! Really rub it.
- Take a layer of sliced onions, 2 cloves garlic, and apple and place on bottom of Crock Pot.
- Take some rubbed meat, place on top of goodies.
- Take another layer of onions, apple and garlic, place more meat on top of it.
- Pour tomato goodness all over, make sure all is well covered.
- Cook on ‘high’ setting for four hours.
- When the ‘high’ cook is done, switch meat around – place stuff on bottom on top, mix well, make sure sauce covers.
- Place on ‘low’ heat setting for 6-8 hours*.
*Note: I think this would be just fine on low for 8-10 hours. Just make sure, at least once, you switch the layered meat around just to make sure all gets evenly cooked.