What a great recipe – combines two of my fave things: soup and meatballs. YAY.
I got this recipe from Sarah Fragaso’s Everyday Paleo and modified a bit. I made this in no time, made a double batch so we’ll have some for lunch today and lunch this week.
Ingredients: Albondigas (meatballs)
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 2.5 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp black pepper (in the demo I said 2 tbsp but I meant 1)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp olive oil or fat of choice
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 5 carrots chopped
- 2 1/2 cups shredded green (or purple) cabbage (I didn’t use purple because I didn’t want my soup purple. Just me)
- 2 1/2 cups fresh (not canned) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 to 1 full can of El Pato Jalepeno salsa (the small 7 oz can)
- 810 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 tsp sea salt (more or less to taste)
- 1 jar of salsa, TJ’s is my favorite
- In a large bowl, mix together the meatball ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large pot, sautee the onion and garlic in the fat of choice until the onions become translucent.
- Add the carrots, cabbage, tomatoes, broth, through salt. Mix well, bring to boil.
- Using your hands, form meatballs, golf ball size or a bit smaller. Drop in boiling soup. Turn heat down and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the salsa, simmer for another five, serve with diced avocado and a sprinkle of cilantro.
This is EASY and very good. ENJOY!