What does your 2017 look like? Fresh goals? Energy around those goals? Excitement? What do you want to do? What do you want to accomplish? Do any of these resonate?
- Try new recipes;
- Lose weight;
- Learn a new language;
- Be kinder;
- Have better communication with my partner;
- Have more fun with the kids;
- Workout more;
- Take a girls trip;
- Do yoga;
And three weeks in (or less for a lot of us) our goals go by the wayside, “normal” busy life resumes, we lose track of ourselves, all that jazz.
Why do we do this Every. Single. Year.? And then, we BEAT OURSELVES UP FOR IT. WTF?!
We want to be better. We want to do more. We want to lead this elusive ‘balanced’ life that we think we see other people live…we project our feelings, we do all of this stuff that makes us feel like shit because we feel we aren’t achieving it (check out this article from our friends at Girls Gone Strong for some help on goal setting).
Just a little secret I’ll let you in on: there is no balance in life. Period. This was a big lesson I learned a couple of years ago. We ebb, we flow. We are comfortable this week, uncomfortable the next. It’s all in how we handle the situation.
I think first and foremost we have to figure out if we are people who respond to goals, tasks, etc. Or, WHAT we respond to in general. What motivates you? WHY? Know the why. The why is important. Be specific about the why. It matters.
Here’s what I’m doing this year. I’m going to stop telling myself I’m a loser for not reaching these crazy goals I set (I’m going to deadlift 700lbs!!), I’m not going to set crazy ass goals in the first place, I’m going to figure out what motivates me (this changes and can change weekly, daily, etc. – figure out the big stuff, small rocks from there), and PLAN out my goals.
I’m not going to put my plan together based on “easy.” What motivates me is challenge. It’s being around people who challenge me. In every way – I want to reach higher, learn more, serve more people, help people move and feel better. I have to be the ‘poster child’ for that – that motivates me because it could inspire some people. That’s my BIG rock – to get there, my little rocks include:
- Be pain free. I’m dealing with an annoying feeling in my right forearm. Have been for a year now. I’m over it. So, I’ve been icing every day, mobilizing, etc. That only helps me OVERALL – in everything, not just my right arm. If my body ain’t in pain, I’m golden. That means cutting out some things I love doing – but I will be able to do them better if I’m pain free.
- I’m going to be more present. No, I’m not going to meditate. I know the excellent benefits of meditating, I get it (don’t push your shizzle on me). It has a place in everyones life – however, mine, right now, does not include sitting in quiet in my own head for 3-20 minutes. What it does include is me, repeating my mantra of “listen with presence, gratitude and grace” several times a day. This could be listening to my body, my husband, my family, nature, my clients, my folks in classes. I did it before I went to bed each night last week and every time I woke up this week. You know what? It works for me.
- I’m going to set aside time for my own workouts. When we get busy, what goes first? Things that we THINK are flexible. My workouts Are. Not. Flexible. Period. Why? Because I need this for stress relief. I don’t want to be on prozac again (yes again – that’s a blog post for another time). I want to have clarity – I do when I eat right and workout. I will not forsake these two things.
- I’m not going to beat myself up if I can’t get to something I really wanted to get to. I will not blow it off, it’s delayed a bit. I’m not going to berate myself for my belly fat or my cellulite on my thighs. (Read this great article).
- I will not schedule so much stuff that I have no time for myself. Nope, won’t do it. Will not overextend myself. I was QUEEN of this and now I ain’t going to do it.
- I’m going to be a sponge. We can learn something from EVERYONE and EVERY SITUATION. Nothing is bad or good – it’s a learning opportunity.
Ok, I’ve ranted enough. Sorry this is so long. This is where I’m at today and has been my base and will continue to be the base from which I. Launch. My. AWESOMENESS.